Questions about VME on suns

Jeff Bilmes bilmes at icsi.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Aug 11 01:02:30 AEST 1990

We have designed a board that requires 128MB of contiguous address space
per board.  We would like to place as many of these as possible in a Sun
(4/330,4/370).

On page 16 of the "Writing Device Drivers" manual for OS 4.1, the table says:

0x10000000	80MB	<= 2MB OEM Devices
0x15000000	176MB	>2MB OEM Devices
0x20000000	1536MB	>2MB Sun Devices
0x80000000	1920MB	Reserved

1. Is this address map correct for the 4/330 and 4/370?
2. If so, does this mean that we can only fit two of our boards in these
	machines (without bank switching) due to this address map?
3. At address 0x10000000, why does it say "<= 2MB OEM Devices" when there
	is more than 2MB available starting at that address?
4. What does "Reserved" mean in this case (i.e. are we not supposed to use
	it, is it just not addressable)?
5. Are there any other Suns that have VME address space limitations (like,
	for example, the 4/110 with only 28 addressable bits and the 3E
	with 29 bits).