How can I revive a lost ethernet carrier?

Joe Smith jms at tardis.tymnet.com
Thu Aug 9 07:48:01 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug3.002136.4033 at rice.edu> lindy!romeo at lindy.stanford.edu
(Patrick Goebel) talks about problems with a Cabletron 10BaseT MAU on
a Sun 4/330.  My recommendation is to check the owner's manual for the
Cabletron and/or whatever is at the other end of the twisted pair.

AT&T's StarLan-10 devices have error indicators on each port that light up
when a flurry of bad packets arrive on that port.  The port is disabled
and stays that way so you can see the error light when you go grubbing
around in the telephone closets looking for the problem.  You clear the
error condition by cycling power to the PC that was misbehaving.  For
workstations and servers, where cycling power is a major inconvenience,
the device can be strapped to clear itself after about 20 seconds.

Check with the Cabletron manuals; the MAU may have a similar option.
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms at tardis.tymnet.com or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C41    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."