How can I revive a lost ethernet carrier?

Patrick Goebel lindy!romeo at lindy.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 2 15:06:16 AEST 1990

I am using a 4/330 with the le0 ethernet interface on a 10BaseT network
(by way of a Cabletron 10BaseT MAU).  When I disconnect the 4/330 from the
network (i.e by breaking the path between the AUI port on the 4/330 and
the RJ-45 wall jack in my office) I receive the console message--

"le0: carrier lost--transceiver cable problem?"

--not too surprising.  However, when I re-establish the physical path to
the network (link light on the MAU is green), the console message persists
and I am unable to talk to any other machine on the network.

A warm reboot (shutdown -r) does not solve the problem.  Only a full
shutdown and power cycle appears to revive the carrier.  Surely there is a
better way--anyone?!

Thanks!
patrick goebel--romeo at lindy.stanford.edu