SunOS4.1 & Sunview/dbx

Nigel Paver IW ra pavern at r6.uk.ac.man.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Aug 15 01:18:57 AEST 1990

We have recently upgrade to SunOS4.1. I have a program which was I think
original written for SunOS3.X. It uses the sunview libraries to produce a
monitoring tool. The problem I have encountered is that it works ok most
of the time but crashes with Bus Error occasionally. The crashes seem
totally random. I tried debuging it with dbx and it complained about
"error while reading shared library" as dbx started up. Has anybody come
across this error message, and could explain what type of error causes it
(program/dbx/whatever else)??. Is there a problem with using programs
written for SunOS3.X (with sunview calls etc) on SunOS4.1??

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks Nigel Paver (pavern at uk.ac.man.cs)

Background Info:

1) running "file graph" gives:

graph:		sparc demand paged dynamically linked executable not
stripped

2) running "ldd graph" gives:
	-lsuntool.0 => /usr/lib/libsuntool.so.0.50
	-lsunwindow.0 => /usr/lib/libsunwindow.so.0.50
	-lpixrect.2 => /usr/lib/libpixrect.so.2.8
	-ldl.1 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.1.0
	-lc.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1.5

When compiled with the -g option set dbx comes up with:
	Reading symbolic information...
	Read 2535 symbols
	error while reading shared library
	(dbx)

it also complains about reading shared library when I run the program
as well.