traffic, rpc.etherd, and nit open: problem

Astw astw at cs.umd.edu
Fri Aug 10 04:43:01 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug9.021945.6548 at rice.edu> I wrote:

>I'm trying to use "traffic" on my SS1+ running SUNOS 4.1.  When, as root,
>I type "rpc.etherd le0" I get "nit open: No such device" I did a "netstat
>-i" to get the interface, le0.  I presume that an "open( "/dev/nit",  )"
>is occuring. Yes/No?  There is a /dev/nit by the way.  What's wrong?  If
>it is the proper etiquette for this newsgroup, email and I will summarize.

The solution to my problem is:  NIT support was not configured into the
kernel -- the default for clients.  In retrospect, of course, the the
cause seems obvious.  It never occurred to me that there'd be a fs entry
without appropriate kernel support configured.  Talk about naive!  Anyway,
the solution is to cd to the germane /sys/sun??/conf directory and make
sure that the following lines are included in the configuration file you
wish to use:

pseudo-device   snit            # streams NIT
pseudo-device   pf              # packet filter
pseudo-device   nbuf            # NIT buffering module
pseudo-device   clone

Next, run config and then remake the kernel etc.  Thanks to those who
responded and so nicely, too.

Bill