TCP timing

David A. Frank dfrank at cod.nosc.mil
Thu Aug 9 10:47:54 AEST 1990

I'm running SunOS 4.0 and 4.1, and would like to modify TCP for use on a
token-ring with inherently high end-to-end delay, often, on the order of
ten seconds. The token ring is accessed through a gateway that cannot
provide any flow control or timing services.

I'm using sendmail, and I'd like to raise the TCP retransmit interval to
accomodate this network. I can't, however, identify such a parameter in
<tcp_timer.h>.

Furthermore, even though the kernel includes <tcp_timer.h>, I'm not
certain that recompiling the kernel will help me in changing the
retransmission interval that sendmail uses.

Any guidance about how to accomplish this is appreciated. Please send

David Frank

DDN: dfrank at nosc.mil
UUCP: {ihnp4,akgua,decvax,dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!nosc!dfrank