Removing Mouse Grunge -- Summary

Steve Simmons scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us
Wed Aug 8 10:35:56 AEST 1990

In comp.sys.sun I write:

| AIIIEEE!!!!  I've got MOUSE GRUNGE!!!  And it's TERMINAL!!!

Got a couple of requests to summarize, and a lot of really interesting
solutions.  Here are some of the best:

Don "Truck" Lewis (del at mlb.semi.harris.com) wins with his suggestion both
its simplicity and being almost the only person claiming to have actually
cleaned one:

>Remove the two screws on the bottom, take the bottom off the mouse
>(careful not to lose the the round plastic lenses!), take it to the
>restroom and wash the pads with soap and water.  I've done it lots of
>times.

Jeff Poskanzer (jef at well.sf.ca.us) also suggested soap and water, but
added:

> . . . [or] remove them and replace them with teflon, which works
>better anyway.

Teflon . . . and I can rename the mouse Ronald!  David Collier-Brown
(davecb at Nexus.YorkU.CA) wins an award for best suggestion using commonly
available replacements:

> . . . felt pads from the china store.  They're for sticking on the bottom
>of china figurines and such so that they don't scratch the furniture.

For those who doubt the efficacy of soap and water, Tom Currey
(tcurrey at x102a.ess.harris.com) suggested something slightly higher tech:

>Try using rubbing alcohol or fingernail polish remover very lightly
>on the pad.  That should clean off whetever is on them.
>
>PS. I have never tried this on mouse pads, but It works on other material.

Most humorous award goes to someone I'll call The Anonymous Rodentophile:

>I rub the mouse on my jeans.  Not only does it get the grunge off, but
>it also excites the mouse.  :-)

Don't you mean "gets both the grunge and the mouse off?"  :-) Thanks to
all!  Gentle soap and water did the trick, and I'm keeping my eyes open
for teflon pads.

Steve