Sun Licensing

ittc!fbresz at uunet.uu.net ittc!fbresz at uunet.uu.net
Wed Aug 8 07:58:09 AEST 1990

I probably shouldn't use my real name but I am not into forgeries so.  I
have a customer whom we supplied with 2 Sun 3/260 Workstations (We are an
OEM and added our software/hardware mods).  They also purchased a Sun
3/260 with the hopes of keeping everything similar.  Now the fun begins.
They also purchased 3 3/50 used diskless units (purchased used to save
money) and hooked them to their 3/260.

Now Sun is beating on them to buy an RTU for the OS.  I believe this is
way out of line.  Granted they are running SunOS 3.5 and probably should
pay a bit to get up to 4.1 (then again rumor has it that legalese says you
are entitled to all derived items?).  Anyway I would be willing, should I
say they would be willing to pay for upgrade but Sun (as usual) is trying
to gouge them for on the order of $5000.

Does anyone else have experience with purchasing used Sun equipment and
the licensing and RTU for the OS contained therein.  Any help in beating
Sun's price gauging is appreciated.