Compatibility problem?

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Fri Aug 10 06:49:29 AEST 1990

>Your automatic array is "too big" for the kernel heuristic that decides
>when it's time to grow the stack, vs. when to declare a user program
>error.  That heurisitc is different on Sun-3s and Sun-4s, since stack
>frames tend to b different sizes on those systems.

No, the heuristic is essentially the same; the parameter the heuristic
uses, namely the stack limit, is different - it defaults to 2MB on a Sun-3
(and probably a Sun-2), and 8MB on a SPARC.  His program worked just fine
on a Sun-3 (well, an NS5000, but it *does* have a 3E120 inside it, running
4.0.3) after I did "limit stacksize 8192k" from the C shell to boost the
stack limit to 8MB (can't set it in the SunOS Bourne shell; the Korn and
Bourne-again shells may let you set it).