Summary of thin-ethernet tranceiver recommendations

Tim Wood tim at sybase.com
Wed Aug 1 05:06:27 AEST 1990

Here is the promised summary of thin-coax Ethernet transceiver
recommendations.  It is short and simple.  Cabletron seems to be the unit
of choice, they are obtainable for ~$150.  Many thanks to those who
responded:

We have, and like, the MicroBat from Eakins Open Systems.  Call them at
(800)776-5665 or (415)969-5109.

We have used mostly cabletron transceivers, ST-500 and TMS3. The first
comes with a head that can be replaced for thickwire, and is about $25
more than the second, which is smaller and has fewer leds. I have about
two dozen and have never had a problem with them.

X-From jimc at math.ucla.edu (Jim Carter)

We have 10-15 Cabletron BNC transceivers in our ceiling for 2-3 years and
we haven't had one fail yet (cross fingers).

We use Cabletron ST500 with LANview and have no complaints.

I use Cabletron ST500 transceivers. They ran less than $150.00, and are
tiny enough to fit in small places.  Cabletron (408)986-0566