Summary of thin-ethernet tranceiver recommendations

Terry Hull terry at iti.org
Thu Aug 2 23:55:51 AEST 1990

tim at sybase.com (Tim Wood) writes:

>Here is the promised summary of thin-coax Ethernet transceiver
>recommendations.  It is short and simple.  Cabletron seems to be the unit
>of choice, they are obtainable for ~$150.  Many thanks to those who
>responded:

>We have, and like, the MicroBat from Eakins Open Systems.  Call them at
>(800)776-5665 or (415)969-5109.

The thing that was not mentioned about the MicroBat is no transceiver
cable is required.  It plugs straight into the AUI port on Suns.  It is
also very small, and therefore causes no interference with the other
connectors on the back of the computer.  We have, and like, the Cabletron
transceivers, but they all require a transceiver cable.  which obviously
adds to the $150 cost of the transceiver.  BTW: Educaitonal price on the
MicroBat in quantity 1 is $145.  Normal quantity 1 pricing is $195.

Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University
Work:  terry at eece.ksu.edu, rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!terry
Play:  terry at tah386.manhattan.ks.us, rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!tah386!terry