Ode to a 19" monitor

Bob Sutterfield bob at morningstar.com
Fri Aug 3 00:08:45 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug2.002735.17098 at rice.edu> gfb at wsc-sun.boeing.com (Gareth Beale) writes:
   Why is Sun focusing on such small monitors for their product line?
   Are all you Sun customers content with them?  I personally like a
   larger monitor for a windowed environment.

Remember the fuss a couple of years ago when the HM (hi-res monochrome)
slid into the foggy darkness?  This sounds like the same sort of thing.
The low end of the market is very, very price sensitive, but is where they
ship the biggest volume.  The demand for nicer displays is such a small
segment of their market that there's not much encouragement to keep
supporting them.  People are snapping up 4/20s by the truckload, and the
price is keeping them from complaining about the screen size.  Remember, a
lot of users are moving up from PeeCees with (typically) even smaller,
lower-resolution screens.  A 17" 1152x900 screen seems fine to them.

The absolutely most wonderful workstation I ever encountered was a
two-headed 4/260C, with 8-bit color on the right-hand screen and HM on the
left-hand screen.  Take your pick for each window: color or very sharp
text, whichever is best for a particular application.