Problem putting console of Sun 4/490 on ttya

Scott Dickson BSD at psuvm.psu.edu
Wed Aug 1 03:17:56 AEST 1990

I have a new Sun 4/490 with a GX board in it that is to act not only as a
server for several dataless clients, but also as a graphics seat in the
lab.  Problem is, what with students being students, I would like to put
the console on /dev/ttya and hook a terminal up as the console.  This
works just dandy if there is no graphics frame buffer, but if I do eeprom
console=ttya and reboot, I have problems.  The system still takes its
input from the Sun keyboard.  Also, it claims that it cannot find a
default frame buffer when it boots.  So, I end up with console output on
the terminal, input being taken from the Sun keyboard with the graphics
monitor, and no frame buffer activated.

Of course, ideally, I would like to have both console input and output on
the tty, and graphics on the monitor, and input for the monitor taken from
the sun keyboard.

Does anyone have an idea how I might do this?  eeprom console=tty and
q1f12 from the boot prom both give the results described above.

Thanks in advance, --SCott Dickson