syslog.conf and `LOGHOST'

Steve Schoch schoch at trident.arc.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 14 02:57:38 AEST 1990

In the default syslog.conf file, there are several m4 ifdef statements
that say "ifdef(`LOGHOST', file, @loghost)".  Apparently, `LOGHOST' is an
m4 variable that is supposed to get defined if syslogd is running on the
loghost (server) and not defined if syslogd is running on a client.

Looking through /usr/etc/syslogd with strings(1), I find the following
string: "define(LOGHOST, 1)".  I assume syslogd will pass this string
along with syslog.conf to m4 if the current host is the file server.

My question is:  "How does syslogd find out whether the current host is
the loghost or not?"  It doesn't seem to work on our system.  Does it use
gethostbyname()?  I have modified libc.so to use the nameserver instead of
the host table.

	Steve