Maxtor LXT-200S

Dan Razzell razzell at cs.ubc.ca
Sat Aug 4 04:54:00 AEST 1990

We are in the process of installing some Maxtor 200MB SCSI disk drives
into Sparcstations.  The drives are shipped without documentation, so
while we wait for the installation manual to arrive, I thought I'd ask if
anyone can readily provide the necessary setup to put these drives into
service. In particular:

1) How is the SCSI address jumpered?
2) I also heard some mention of parity and spinup delay, if anyone can
   suggest appropriate jumper settings.
3) Does anyone have a format.dat entry for this drive that they would like
   to share?

I can confirm at this point that these drives do indeed run very hot.  Not
hot enough to fry eggs, but almost too hot to touch.  Don't know that I
would want to be reincarnated as a Maxtor controller chip.  It might
almost be worth drilling out the ventilation holes under these drives,
just to give the fan a bit of a chance, always bearing in mind that a good
mass of air still needs to flow over the SIMM area.