BUSERR crashes system

Jeffrey Mulligan eos!jbm at eos.arc.nasa.gov
Fri Aug 3 11:21:19 AEST 1990

I posted too soon; yesterday afternoon (a couple of hours after posting) I
found the answer to my question:

eos!jbm at eos.arc.nasa.gov (Jeffrey Mulligan) writes:

>Q:  Is there any way to trap and deal with this type of event inside
>the kernel?

[bus error caused by kernel reference of a non-existent VME location]

Eventually I realized that this type of event is exactly what occurs in
the probe/attach sequence, so I looked in the probe routine and saw that
locations are queried with peek() and poke(), which are documented in TFM,
which says that they are only used in probe/attach routines.

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm at eos.arc.nasa.gov)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 262-2, Moffet Field CA, 94035
	(415) 604-3745