BUSERR crashes system

Jeffrey Mulligan eos!jbm at eos.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 2 03:05:54 AEST 1990

We have a hardware device which generates a bus error (timeout) to
indicate a certain error condition.  The vendor-supplied software uses
mmap() to map the device registers into user space, where most of the work
is done.  In this case, the bus error causes a BUSERR signal to be sent to
the user process.

For various reasons, we need certain functions to be performed in the
kernel.  Unfortunately, when the statement which causes the bus error is
executed inside of the device driver, the system panics.

Q:  Is there any way to trap and deal with this type of event inside
the kernel?

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm at eos.arc.nasa.gov)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 262-2, Moffet Field CA, 94035
	(415) 604-3745