Can anybody explain this DBX error message?

Dan A. Dickey ddickey at aspen.cray.com
Mon Aug 27 06:50:49 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug9.021643.6024 at rice.edu> adiron!tro at uunet.uu.net (Tom Olin) writes:
%
%I run Emacs within X11, and I use dbx within Emacs, either using dbx.el or
%simply running dbx in the Emacs shell.  dbx works fine if I am running
%Emacs on the same machine as the X server.  However, if I am running Emacs
%remotely, dbx aborts immediately with the following message:
%
%	dbx: fatal error: No such device or address
%
%On the other hand, if I run a remote xterm (analogous to a sibling of
%Emacs), dbx runs okay in the xterm.  Can anybody shed any light on this?

Actually, a few more things than just dbx don't work.  Try su.

I'm not sure what is going on, but I believe it has something to do with
not having a controlling tty, not being in /etc/utmp, or something along
that line...  The only way I've been able to get dbx to work is by logging
in.  This means starting an xterm and either rlogging or telnetting in
again.  Yuck.  I'd sure like an answer to this...

But now, with OpenWindows 2.0, xterm is gone.  I only have cmdtool, which
does work...if you don't mind the other stuff it does.  Like, now I can't
get at my command history in ksh...

Dan A. Dickey      ddickey at aspen.cray.com