How to build one Filesystem on Two Disks

Dave Taber davo at sun.com
Tue Aug 14 12:50:52 AEST 1990

>  We will have the following configuration:
>   - 4/370 as Server with:
>     - 4 1-GByte SMD disks
>     - 2 660-MByte SCSI disks
>   - diskless clients
>
>  Now i'm looking for an idea, how it may be possible to use two physical
>  drives for one filesystem. I suppose, i need a virtual device driver, but
>  SUN doesn't have this one (for IPI, it's already done).

Contact your Sun salesperson and ask him about SPARCserver Manager.  This
product supports both concatenation (make two physical disk partitions
appear as one aggregate virtual partition) and mirroring (where data is
duplicated across two disk partitions to guard against failure).  There
are also some spiffy graphical tools for examining and manipulating
devices and filesystems, along with long-term monitoring.

The concat & mirroring work with SCSI, SMD, and IPI drives.