New Sun IPC (4/40) and Graphics

SILL D E de5 at stc06.ctd.ornl.gov
Fri Aug 3 00:36:27 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug2.002942.17476 at rice.edu> ballen at csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:

>I have heard that you can use a GX board in the IPC, and that
>it will work, but that it is not an "officially supported" configuration.

I thought the reason you couldn't use a GX board in an IPC was because the
GX takes two S-bus slots, and at least one of the IPC's two slots was used
for something else.  Are both of the IPC's slots available?  I also seem
to remember somebody saying that a 1-slot GX board was in the works.

>Apparently this is for marketing reasons.

I cannot believe that Sun would say the IPC doesn't support GX graphics
simply to position it at the low end of the price spectrum.

Dave Sill (de5 at ornl.gov)		These are my opinions.
Martin Marietta Energy Systems
Workstation Support