New Sun IPC (4/40) and Graphics

Bruce Allen ballen at csd4.csd.uwm.edu
Wed Aug 1 05:32:22 AEST 1990

My understanding is that the IPC without a GX is functionally identical to
the SS1+.  I have heard that you can use a GX board in the IPC, and that
it will work, but that it is not an "officially supported" configuration.
Apparently this is for marketing reasons.  In SunTech journal, July/August
90, page 6, column 1, the product manager of the IPC is quoted as saying
that the lack of GX is based on "cost conciousness" rather than "design
limitations."

Perhaps someone who has tried a GX board in an IPC (4/40) can comment.

		Bruce Allen