mget causes panic in SunOS 4.1

Jeff Gabel jeff at wubios.wustl.edu
Sat Aug 11 06:29:56 AEST 1990

Configuration: 3/260 running SunOS 4.1, w/ disks.

When we first installed 4.1 and were running a more or less GENERIC kernel
we had several crashes due to panic by mget in the first couple weeks of
operation. After configuring a custom kernel that excluded mainly RFS and
related options and pseudo-devices, the problem dissappeared and the
kernel has been quite stable for the last two months or so.  Now, the
3/260 has crashed twice this week due to panic by mget, 3 days ago and
then again today. The only non-Sun kernel hack we are using is the slip
pseudo-device.

This is what we saw today, guess it's time to save a crash dump:
  Aug 10 09:47:24 wubios vmunix: panic: mget
  Aug 10 09:47:24 wubios vmunix: panic: mget
  [...]
  Aug 10 09:47:24 wubios vmunix: dumping to vp f0785f4, offset 45418

Anyone having this problem or something similar? I recall seeing an
article that described a panic due to mclput (in v9n256), could this be
related? The only other thing that comes to mind is the mget function of
ftp ilk, but that's just a wild guess. BTW, we have 2 4/260's also running
4.1, no RFS or non-Sun kernel hacks, and have yet to see this problem with
them. Anyboby have any insight to offer, could it be slip on the 3/260
doing this?

Thanks,
        Jeff

| Internet % jeff at wubios.wustl.edu        | Jeff Gabel, System/Network Slave |
|     UUCP % ...!uunet!wugate!wubios!jeff | Div. of Biostatistics, Box 8067  |
|AT&T Mail % attmail!wubios!jeff          | Washington U. School of Medicine |
|Phone/FAX % +1 314 362 {3608/2693}       | St. Louis, MO  63110             |