Bug in SUN-OS rcp

Oliver Kowalski kow at gmdzi.uucp
Wed Aug 8 00:22:03 AEST 1990

I've been confronted with a 'strange' behaviour of the SUN-OS (Version
4.0) "rcp" command. Due to my own fault, I wrote:

	% rcp My_beloved_file To_the_wrong_machine:

where 'To_the_wrong_machine' was the name of my current host. As a result
the command exits with the error message:

	rcp: My_beloved_file: file changed size

and the contents "My_beloved_file" seemed to be that of the /etc/hosts
file.  This bug also exists on bsd4.2 systems, but SUN-OS 4.1 seems to
work fine.

Oliver C. Kowalski					     kow at zi.gmd.dbp.de
German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)	kow at gmdzi.UUCP
Mail: Schloss Birlinghoven, PO-Box 1240, D-5205 Sankt Augustin 1, West Germany