Switching from thin to thick Ethernet on a Sun 3/50

Len DiPaola soleil!dipaola at rutgers.edu
Thu Aug 16 01:48:26 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug13.011115.5713 at rice.edu>, matt at antioch.acns.nwu.edu (Matthew Larson) writes:
> We have a Sun 3/50 that was running happily using thin ethernet.  Now we
> would like to run it with thick ethernet.  We plugged in the drop cable
> and -- nothing.  For the record, it is running SunOS 4.1.
> Rumor has it that there is a jumper change required to effect this change.
> Could some kind soul tell us how to do this?

4 Mb    8 Mb    12 Mb   16 Mb   20 Mb   24 Mb   EXTXUR  HIGHRES

  o       o       o       o       o       o       o       o
  |                                               |
  o       o       o       o       o       o       o       o

(		MEMORY JUMPERS		)	(Net)	(Monitor)

If the seventh jumper ("EXTXUR") is in place, then the machine is
configured for Thicknet.  Otherwise, it's configured for Thinnet.  These
jumpers are located (if you've looking at the board with the external
connectors facing you) to the left of center about 10-12 inches back.
They're pretty easy to spot, 'cause they're the only jumpers back there.

Len DiPaola   Apollo Sysadmin      __    __    __      _      _    __  _
Harris Semiconductor 201-685-6289  ||----||   //\\   || \\  || \\  || //\
724 RT.202 Somerville, N.J.08876   _/\/\/\_  //__\\  ||==/  ||==/  || \\
rutgers!nj.semi.harris.com!dipaola ||----|| //    \\ ||  \\ ||  \\ || _//