SunOS 4.1 & couple of questions

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Thu Aug 16 03:14:55 AEST 1990

>1) Accounting: I have enabled the accounting as described in the system &
>Network administration manual. For some reason /usr/lib/runacct (which is
>run every night) terminates with an error. The log file looks like this:
>
>   acctcon1: RECOMPILE WITH LARGER A_TSIZE
>
>I noticed that it completed normally (once) during weekend.  Does anyone
>know what's wrong?

Ultimately, what's wrong is that we (Sun) forgot to get rid of the stupid
#defined constant in "acctcon1" and have it dynamically allocate the
table; there's a number of places where the AT&T person who wrote that
stuff thought that everybody had source and could just "RECOMPILE WITH A
LARGER <whatever>".

That particular one is a bit funny, as A_TSIZE is the "max number of line
names in 1 acct run", where "line names" are names for tty lines, and at
least in S5R3.1 whence that accounting stuff came, it's 128.  Either you
have tons of tty ports or pseudo-ttys, or the code was converted to a
BSD-style "wtmp" file incorrectly, or there's some problem with the "wtmp"
file.

>2) /usr/bin/lp is sys V style printing interface. It supports (according
>to the man-page) -o option that specifies printer-dependent options.  Now
>how can 'if' (in specified in /etc/printcap) -filter get those options?
>This is possible at least in HP-UX which has similar command-line option
>(this wasn't the case with sunos).

HP-UX has an S5-flavored spooler; SunOS (yes, even in 4.1) has a
BSD-flavored spooler.  For 4.1, an "lp" command was written that provides
an S5-flavored command-line interface, but it sits atop the same spooler;
I suspect the "-o" option may not work.