PC-NFS bug

Tim Stradtman tim at ncoast.org
Thu Aug 2 06:36:43 AEST 1990

Has anyone else seen the following problem using PC-NFS:

PC #1 comes up and opens a UDP socket, waits for a packet from anyone
PC #2 comes up and opens a UDP socket, sends id type message
PC #1 replys to the id message, opens a TCP socket,
      waits for connection from anyone (expects one from PC #2)
PC #2 connects to PC #1
both PCs talk
PC #2 closes the connection
PC #1 goes to sleep for 20 seconds INSIDE the socket close call

The general idea is that PC #1 is acting as a server/gateway, and may have
up to 32 (correction 8 - PC NFS limit :-) sessions running with other
systems. When it hits the close, ALL systems are hung for 20 seconds.
Meanwhile the communications line is missing interrupts, the other users
are hitting ^C and I get calls about slow response.  Sun has filed a "bug
report" - after several months they are "still looking into it".

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks
--------
Tim Stradtman
EMAIL to ak215 at cleveland.freenet.edu