Help doing automount?

Jon A. Tankersley apctrc!merlyn!zjat02 at uunet.uu.net
Sat Aug 11 11:49:32 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug7.003518.2059 at rice.edu> baur at venice.sedd.trw.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:

>Would somebody please send me an auto.master file that works?.  (And say
>what it does).  I'd like info concerning both 4.0.3 and 4.1, but will take
>what I can get.  Thanks in advance.
>
>steve	baur at venice.SEDD.TRW.COM

Here is what I have been able to kludge together with Sun's automount:
The control files are the same for 4.0.x and 4.1, but the invocation is
different.  In 4.1 /etc/rc.local is acting from /etc.  Hence the setup
in my auto.master.  In 4.0.3 it doesn't do this, hence add
(cd /etc; automount -f .....; ) & echo -n ' automount' >/dev/console

auto.master:
/home   auto.home       rw,intr,bg,hard
/-      auto.direct     rw,intr,bg,hard
/net    -hosts          rw,intr,bg,hard
/data   auto.data       rw,intr,bg,hard

auto.home:
hostb	&:/export/home/&
hosta	&:/export/home/&
hostc	&:/export/home/&
hostd	&:/export/home/&
*       &:/home/&

auto.direct:
/dist   hostb:&
/explprod       hosta:/dist/sun4/&
/usr/ingres     hosta:&

auto.data:
hosta \
	/data1		hosta:/data/apctrc/data1 \
	/data2		hosta:/data/apctrc/data2
hostd \
	/data1		hostd:/export/data/data1 \
	/data2		hostd:/export/data/data2

I haven't been able in 4.1 or 4.2 to get NIS/YP auto.master to be obeyed at
all.  But with the auto.master above all NIS clients can pick up the
auto.home,direct,-hosts, and data from NIS maps if automount is started
from /etc with automount -m -f /etc/auto.master.
Why /etc/auto.master is required is beyond me.

-tank-
--
-tank-
#include <std/disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */