obese routed problem

Ruth Milner rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Aug 17 05:19:52 AEST 1990

I am wondering if this is a known problem with /usr/etc/in.routed under
SunOS 4.0.3. The system in question is a 3/260, and in the past two weeks
it has twice been bogged down by routed swelling to vast proportions on
the order of 25MB.

The result of this, of course, is that it swallows all the swap space and
nobody can do much of anything until it is killed. We do have a lot of
route information, but not 25MB worth! Below is an extract from "ps aux"
just before routed was killed. There is nothing out of the ordinary on the
system, though it does run ypbind, pcnfsd, and slip.

USER       PID %CPU %MEM   SZ  RSS TT STAT START  TIME COMMAND
[...]
root     19926  0.0  1.026864  152 ?  S    Aug  9  7:24 in.routed
                        ^^^^^
Note the size of in.routed. Has anyone heard of this before, or know what
might be causing it? I have put the 4.1 in.routed on now, to see whether
that fixes the problem. Upgrading to 4.1 is not an option at this time.

Thank you.
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                  Socorro NM
                            rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu