Kernel panic w/heavy disk I/O (ISC)

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Wed Feb 20 00:44:50 AEST 1991

rob at xyzoom.info.com (Rob Lingelbach) writes:

>I've been trying to compile smail3 for my system running ISC 2.2.
>I get through building the dependencies, but about 10 minutes into
>building the binaries, the kernel panics.  It never happens at exactly
>the same place--just generally during heavy disk I/O.  I also get some
>random errors in component files, that don't appear to exist when I
>examine them.
>The processor is a 25 MHz 386 w/64k cache, 8 MB RAM, the controller is
>an Adaptec 1542B with a Maxtor 207 MB drive.
>I have replaced the controller and the drive, with no change.  I've
>tried adding BIOS wait states to the Adaptec, with no effect.

>Is anyone else having this problem?  Thanks.

chances are your motherboard isn't compatible with the DMA on the
Adaptec 1542B --  Did you run the DMA test under DEBUG (using DOS)
on the 1542B?

another issue is the DMASPEED and BUSSON/BUSSOFF paramaters in
the kernel --

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator