Kernel panic w/heavy disk I/O (ISC)

Rob Lingelbach rob at xyzoom.info.com
Mon Feb 18 14:44:29 AEST 1991

I've been trying to compile smail3 for my system running ISC 2.2.
I get through building the dependencies, but about 10 minutes into
building the binaries, the kernel panics.  It never happens at exactly
the same place--just generally during heavy disk I/O.  I also get some
random errors in component files, that don't appear to exist when I
examine them.
The processor is a 25 MHz 386 w/64k cache, 8 MB RAM, the controller is
an Adaptec 1542B with a Maxtor 207 MB drive.
I have replaced the controller and the drive, with no change.  I've
tried adding BIOS wait states to the Adaptec, with no effect.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Thanks.

Rob Lingelbach rob at xyzoom.info.com -or- {well-connected}!uunet!xyzoom!rob
KB6CUN   Compuserve: 71101,176
2641 Rinconia Dr L.A. CA 90068   voice: 213 464-6266
--------"'Tis pride that pulls the country down" (Shakespeare)-------