Equinox question

Karl Denninger kdenning at pcserver2.naitc.com
Sat Feb 16 03:57:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb13.170319.13308 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <27B79130.5C72 at telly.on.ca> evan at telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>>I've been looking at the Equinox Megaport boards and they look like a
>>decent deal. Then someone said that they won't do hardware flow control
>>and modem control on the same port at the same time.
>
>That is correct.

See my post on this subject.  It's plain wrong.

>>Is this true? It would strike me that having both functions is to get a
>>Telebit going at top speed. Or is it -- can a Telebit be run at full
>>speed on UUCP transfers using Xon-Xoff? I would think that this could be
>
>You cannot use xon-xoff flow control with UUCP because they can appear
>as a character within the data (or in the packet headers).
>
>We have a T2500 running full blast on our Equinox 24 port card with
>no problems.  We get about 1500 bytes/sec on output and 900-1100 bytes/sec
>on input.

However, if you turn on XON/XOFF in a Telebit modem and use spoofing
(S111-30), it is smart enough to disable it when a uucp call comes in or
out.  Thus, it works for both interactive users AND UUCP calls.

This is not obvious, but it does work.  I do it that way myself on one
modem, the other I wired strange for full modem control (CTS/RTS + modem
control) since it has V.32 capability and you need it there.

--
Karl Denninger - AC Nielsen, Bannockburn IL (708) 317-3285
kdenning at nis.naitc.com

"The most dangerous command on any computer is the carriage return."
Disclaimer:  The opinions here are solely mine and may or may not reflect
  	     those of the company.