SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Heiko Blume src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de
Thu Feb 14 09:01:10 AEST 1991

sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>Get SCO.  It does not have this "feature," and still manages to support
>Weitek coprocessors (the coprocessor the original poster was referring to, I
>believe).  (The Weitek's use memory for registers and, obviously, need to be
>able to write them.  The weitek registers are stuck in the upage, and
>happen, in apparantly every 3.2 save SCO's, to be in the same page as the
>uid stuff.  *Bad*.  *Very* bad.)

there's no problem with ISC if you have any co-processor. the problem is the
floating point emulation that runs in user space and needs to write the u area.

i hope ISC will send me a 'bug fix' in the form of a 33MHz 80387 :-)
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]: