SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Jim Deitch jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com
Sat Feb 16 19:57:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb13.220110.1314 at scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>>Get SCO.  It does not have this "feature," and still manages to support
>>Weitek coprocessors (the coprocessor the original poster was referring to, I
>>believe).  (The Weitek's use memory for registers and, obviously, need to be
>>able to write them.  The weitek registers are stuck in the upage, and
>>happen, in apparantly every 3.2 save SCO's, to be in the same page as the
>>uid stuff.  *Bad*.  *Very* bad.)
>
>there's no problem with ISC if you have any co-processor. the problem is the
>floating point emulation that runs in user space and needs to write the u area.
>
>i hope ISC will send me a 'bug fix' in the form of a 33MHz 80387 :-)

Me Too!

One quick question though,
  I tried to fix the problem temporarily by setting UAREARW to 0 as
was posted.  I rebult the kernel and all was well, until cnews tried
to run.  I got a core dump from sendbatches.  Also the dfspace utility
would not work.  Anyone else seen this?  I am running ISC 2.2 w/o a
coprocessor.  Do I also have to set UAREAUS to 0 to make this "fix"
work?

Jim

ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch at nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com