VPIX destroys second hard drive on Interactive 2.2?

Usenet news administrator news at to.rushpc
Thu Feb 21 16:10:45 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb20.060712.27767 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:
>In article <1991Feb14.055359.6678 at ajfcal.uucp> tony at ajfcal.uucp (Tony Field) writes:
>>I have just installed Interactive's VPIX on my system - two hard disks
>>running off of an rll controller. The unix partition on the second hard
>>drive is number 7 (i.e. fstab contains /dev/dsk/1s7).
>>
>>After VPIX was installed and tested. I powered down the system. When the
>>system came up again, the second hard drive was no longer available. In
>>fact, the partition table was unreadable - the disk had to be reinstalled.
>>
>>Is there a problem with vpix on a second hard drive, did I miss reading
>>the fine print in the manual - or is my text editor defective?
>
>There's no inherent problem: I've run vpix without difficulty
>in a multi-drive and even multi-controller setting. (RLL + SCSI)

I had the same trouble with my system.  I have a Compuadd 386-20 with 2 IDE
Hard drives and I'm running AT&T SVR3.2.  After installing the 2nd drive I
rebooted the system.  The filesystem I assigned to the 2nd drive failed to
mount.  Upon investigation, I found that /etc/mnttab was completely missing.
I created /etc/mnttab with vi and edited in the necessary info to mount the
filesystem on drive 2.  I have had no further problems booting the machine.
Later I found the original /etc/mnttab under /lost+found.  The file was
corrupted but I was able to tell that it once was /etc/mnttab.

John Rushford