Intel ICC Multiport Card

Dave McLane davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Feb 3 08:57:51 AEST 1991

Last September I bought in Intel ICC Multiport Serial Card (6
ports, 80186 512K) for a 386 AT from Technology Resource Center in
LA for $1,026, including some cables. It took me until December to
actually get the 386 from Dell (which is another long story in
itself) and when I finally went to install the ICC board, the
software drivers won't load under Interactive UNIX as I get

   cpio error: this is not a cpio file

I called Intel at 503-696-7890 and Laurie and/or Sheryl say that
Intel hasn't supported this board since December but that somebody
named Tracey Riley would call me back and try to help me. No return
call from Tracey even though I have spoken to Laurie/Sheryl 4 times
now. I faxed and then called Stuart Greenberg at Technology
Resource Center at 213-937-8822 but have had no reply to the fax
and he has not returned my call.

>From my experience with U.S. companies, it's time to write off the
ICC card and the $1,000 as in general more trouble than it's worth
unless there is some kind of something coming back within the first
three calls.

I'm posting this message on the PCEO forum on CompuServe, the
Association of PC User Group board in Scotts Valley CA, and on
comp.ibm.sysv386 on USENET in the hopes that

  1) Somebody has had the same problem and can shed some light
     on how to get the driver loaded.

  2) Somebody has the name and address of some company that
     can supply another board to Japan (many companies want me
     to buy from distributers in Japan which charge 2X to 3X
     the U.S. price).

If you would, please reply by mail and I will post a summary.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,

--Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp>

Independent Research Associates
Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, Japan 617
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax:+81-75-957-1087
APCUG: DAVE MCLANE
Net: davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp
CompuServe: >INTERNET: davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp