SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Fri Feb 15 07:13:25 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb14.142947.1777 at metaware.metaware.com> ken at metaware.UUCP (ken) writes:
>I think you got flammed for posting a rather blatent advertisement for SCO.
>Most people probably know that you work there and that you have rather biased
>opinions about SCO's products.  That type of posting is generally frowned
>upon.

Paraphrasing from some posts a couple of months ago:

"SCO UNIX isn't real UNIX.  The C2 braindamagedness breaks it.  I suggest
you buy ISC or ESIX instead, which don't have this problem."

Such sentiments were expressed many times.

The fact that I work at SCO is irrelevent.  SCO UNIX does not have the bug
that was described, and, in fact, has never had it (nor will it ever; we
won't have to worry about something slipping through the cracks and
reintroducing it, nor will we have to worry about how many of our sites out
there have it, etc.).

For that reason, I answered, 'How do we fix it?' with 'get SCO UNIX,' the
same way other people have answered, 'How do we get rid of C2 in SCO' wtih
'Buy ISC [or esix, or dell, or sysvr4, etc].'  I say that as a satisfied
user of sco *nix, not as an employee of sco.  If I were saying it as an
employee, I would have posted it from work, not home.  Or did you and the
pseudo-account fail to notice that there was no 'sco.com' in the address of
my posting?

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."