SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Bill England wengland at stephsf.stephsf.com
Fri Feb 15 10:41:32 AEST 1991

In article <1854 at chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

[...]
>fixing logfile permissions.  If UNIX is broken, no amount of C2 cruft is
>going to fix it.

   True.  Presumeably when you purchase the rights to use SecureWare's
   tools they give you a _test_suite_ of ice-breaking software that tests
   for security bugs on your system.  It would be bad advertising indeed
   to certify a system C2 and then have this bug unvieled.  :-)

   As for the Uucp I believe that having strict C2 requires NOT using
   UUCP and disallowing ftp.  I'm not sure if TCP/IP would be
   considered a C2 security violation and even running an xterm may
   be a problem.

--
 +-  Bill England,  wengland at stephsf.COM -----------------------------------+
 |   * *      H -> He +24Mev                                                |