Colorodo Memory Systems JUMBO and /dev/ftape

Dwayne Bailey dwayne at stratsft.UUCP
Thu Feb 14 13:51:51 AEST 1991

Interactive Unix SysV 3.2 ver 2.2 includes a new floppy driver which is
supposed to allow the use of QIC-40 standard floppy interface tape
backup units.  Thus far, I have had absolutely no luck getting this to
work with a Colorodo Memory Systems DJ-10 JUMBO tape drive.  I used the
ftape program as specified in the manual, but all I get is a message
saying that no tape was found.  If I try again, I get a different error
message, saying that the device is busy.  Not only that, but my floppies
are also "busy."  The only way I have found to correct this state is
to shut down the system.

I've tried this on two different systems with two different disk controllers.
Same results both times.  Any light that can be shed on the subject would be
greatly appreciated.

The hardware I'm working with:
	AMI Mark II 386 20MHz Motherboard
	Perstor PS-180 16FN HD/FD Controller
	CMS JUMBO DJ-10 tape drive
	I've tried both with and without the adapter board with the
		same results.

Dwayne Bailey