Jumbo 120 tape and SCO UNIX V3.2.1

Jan De Boever de_boever at ketje.enet.dec.com
Wed Feb 13 09:29:10 AEST 1991

I possess a Jumbo 120 tape streamer from Colorado Memory Systems. I can
successfully use it from within plain DOS. The drive is hanging from my floppy
controller. This controller now controls a 3"5 drive and the Jumbo.

As I have switched to SCO/ODT I'd like to continue to use the same tape drive
to do my UNIX backups. I was led to believe that this tape drive would work
with the standard drivers included with SCO-UNIX V3.2.1.

1. I ran "mkdev tape".
2. I removed support of all tape drives.
3a. I included support for mini-cartridge (irwin-tapes)
3b. I included support for QIC-40 tapes
4. I rebuilt the kernel
5. I rebooted the system

In both cases (1,2,3a,4,5 or 1,2,3b,4,5) the tape drive sits happely waiting
for my beard to grow and doesn't do anything else: which was less than I hoped
for as you may imagine.

The tape has a few jumpers for which I do not have any documentation.
Furthermore fiddling around with them didn't change anything in its behaviour.

Am I forgetting something obvious? Is this drive supported at all ?
Is there anyone out there with some experience with this drive ?

Thanks,

Jan De Boever 	de_boever at ketje.enet.dec.com
			--or-- ...!decwrl!ketje.enet.dec.com!de_boever
Digital Brussels	--or-- de_boever%ketje.dec at decwrl.dec.com

#include <standard.disclaimer>
My employer may not endorse the above prose or views. Neither may I...