How expensive is fiber optic

Fred Rump fred at compu.com
Wed Feb 13 09:35:38 AEST 1991

        Some time ago I heard a presentation on using fiber optic cable
        in a lightening prone enviroment. IE lots of electrical
        disturbances.

        I lost the name of the company that gave the talk and now need
        more information.

        This would be especially directed to folks who also do business
        in Florida where we are experiencing dramatic electrical problems
        when having lines either above or below ground from building to
        building.

        Many of our customers now unplug everything at night down there
        and have great trepidations about keeping their computers on
        during the slightest sign of thunderstorms.

        This is all very good for keeping the equipment working but not
        good for productivity and convenience of operation. Nightly
        communications have to be done during the day when things are
        more expensive than necessary. Remote buildings get disonnected
        because of the fear of failure via a heavy surge. We have
        protection on the outlets and a UPS with surgeprotection but
        nothing really seems to work reliably.

        So, the question is would fiber cable help? Do others use it? How
        much is it? Sources?

        Any information at all would be helpful.
        fred
---
Fred Rump              | Home of Brother John Software
CompuData, Inc.        | SCO Advanced Product Center
10501 Drummond Rd.     | Bang: {uunet dsinc}!cdin-1!fred  (800-223-DATA)        Philadelphia, Pa. 19154| Internet: fred at COMPU.COM         (215-824-3000)