More than 16 Mbytes memory on ISC 2.0.2

Henry Farber farber at athena.mit.edu
Fri Feb 8 12:24:57 AEST 1991

I remember seeing some conversation on the network about using more than
16 Mbytes of memory with ISC unix 2.0.2 with an ISA bus motherboard, but
the details are foggy.  If you have a motherboard with an ISA bus that
can take more than 16 Mbytes on the motherboard, it seems reasonable
that you could change the MEMRANGE line in /etc/default/boot to look for
up to 32 Megs of memory, and ISC 2.0.2 should be able to use it.  The
line would look like:

MEMRANGE=0-640K:0,1M-32M:0

I realize that the AT (ISA) bus does not have the address lines for this
much memory, but the memory will reside on the motherboard.  So it might
work.

My query: Does anyone have any experience making this work on any ISA
bus motherboard? I am looking to upgrade my 386-25 clone to a 486-33
clone, and the AMI "Voyager" motherboard has caught my eye.  The claim
is that it will take up to 32 megabytes on the motherboard (8 4Mx9
simms).  Can ISC 2.0.2 use this memory? Has anyone used this AMI
motherboard? Can I mix 4Meg and 1Meg simms? (e.g., 4 4Mx9 + 4 1Mx9 for a
total of 20 Mbytes).

farber at athena.mit.edu.  I will summarize if there is enough interest.

Thanks in advance,

Hank Farber