System V/386 groff distribution

Greg A. Woods woods at eci386.uucp
Fri Feb 8 12:40:25 AEST 1991

In article <6888 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
> mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca writes:
> >Just as a matter of record, FTP sites are just about *non-existent* in Canada
> >(relative to the number of computer sites here; as an aside how many of you
> >know that Calgary has more computers/CPUs per capita than any other city in the
> >world?) due to the overwhelming costs in maintaining the lines etc.  Perhaps
> >there should be a site that has both FTP and dial-in access (uunet is
> >prohibitively expensive for most human beings).
>
> Then use the BITFTP server bitftp at pucc.princeton.edu.  It'll get it for you,
> uuencode it and break it up into mail managable sized uuencoded chunks.
>
> All you need to access BITFTP is a UUCP connection.  Simple.  I'll buy
> ignorance cluttering up the net once.

PLEASE!  DO NOT ABUSE BITFTP!

Either buy the UUNET tapes, or find a local archive!

Internet connections into Canada are very expensive, and are paid for
by the public.  Abuse will lead to total cut-off, and if you think
UUNET is expensive for dial-up access, just wait 'til you see how
expensive a similar Canadian service would be (which is why it's hard
to justify a Canadian service when the American equivalent is cheaper).

We don't *need* FTP!  What we need is more co-operation in making
existing and potential archives available.

Get together with your friends and pay for one set of UUNET tapes, or
one call to UUNET, and spread the cost of your "free" software around.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada