14 character limitation in filenames

Jay Vassos-Libove libove at libove.det.dec.com
Sat Feb 2 03:42:17 AEST 1991

Actually, though Brandon complains that long filenames are a pain to
type, a good shell can take care of that... I happily swipe fifty
and more character filenames in to a command line by punching escape
every now and then and letting my ksh or enhanced csh or enchanced sh
find the file on disk and complete the filename, or by punching ^D
and having the shell print out possible completions for me.

Besides, just because you can have longer filenames doesn't mean you
have to use them. Why turn down functionality? I hate it when bison
tries to create ">8 character filename".output files and fails under
SysVr3, and when patch tries to generate "14 character filename"# or ~
and fails... etc.

Jay Vassos-Libove                  libove at libove.det.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation      decwrl!libove.det.dec.com!libove
Detroit ACT/Ultrix Resource Center Opinions? They're mine, mine, all mine!
Farmington Hills, Michigan         and D.E.C. Can't have 'em!