14 character limitation in filenames

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Fri Feb 1 11:35:32 AEST 1991

As quoted from <20711 at hydra.gatech.EDU> by ken at dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii):
+---------------
| In article <290 at sps.com> arm at sps.com (Annette Myjak) writes:
| >can anyone explain why there's the 14 character limitation in filenames
| >(11 + 3 for extension) in interactive unix?
|
| Cause AT&T is brain dead?  Most all Version 7, System III and System V
| based Unixes have a 14 character filename limit (11+3?  Where'd you
| get that?).  Posix has also followed this silliness...
+---------------

"Silliness"?  I still fail to understand why everyone wants to be able to
create files with humongous names --- I don't enjoy typing 14 character file
names (but don't want to decrease that size, there *is* a tradeoff here), the
30-plus-character names I've seen in use on some BSD systems don't appeal at
all.

(To those who complain, as they did last time, that the 14-char limit means
you can't encode a date in a filename:  information is suppoosed to be stored
*inside* files, not in their filenames!  And "910131193506" fits into a
filename if you absolutely *must* store the date in the filename for some
reason.  (Personally, if I want to locate a file quickly according to some
attribute like that, I'll use an index file.  It's often faster, too.))

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN