Mounting sun root partition off of a 386

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Fri Feb 1 11:43:38 AEST 1991

In article <9848 at pitt.UUCP> field at elvis.cs.pitt.edu (Brian Field) writes:
>The problem is I can't get the sun to access its root partition as
>root.  I know that when I mount a partition from a sun NFS server,
>that the server knows I have root access via the -root option
>specified in /etc/exports on the NFS server.  However, I can't seem to

The problem is that the root id on the client machine is being
mapped to the "nobody" id (usually (unsigned int) -2) on the 386 system.

The only way around this is to change the value of nobody to a zero.
HOWEVER, this means that the root user on ANY NFS client has root
privileges on any NFS partition that you export.

This is typical of the 386 versions of NFS at this time.  The

If you are still interested,  I posted the sources to do this (kernmod.c)
a short time ago.  Look around your system to see if it is lying around.
If not, let me know & I will email it to you.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170