Adding a second IDE harddrive question

Usenet news administrator news at to.rushpc
Thu Feb 21 16:25:46 AEST 1991

In article <7666 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>rreiner at yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
>>jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>
>>>It should work with no problem.  You just configure the second drive as a
>>>slave drive and make sure the one you want to boot from is configured as a
>>>master drive in a dual hard drive configuration.  If your dealer won't help
>>>you, I'm sure that the hard drive manufacturer will.
>>
>>What about the cable?  Is it just a straight daisy chain, or does the
>>second connector get a twist?  If so, which leads are twisted?
>
>Straight daisy chain.  The master/slave configuration of the drive handles the
>rest.

I never saw the original article and I'm new to the net and have difficulty
posting but, I would like to make the following info available.  I installed
a second IDE drive, Seagate 71MB, I believe it was an ST271.  Anyway I could
not get it to work and after talking with Seagate Tech Support, I found that
you do have to put a twist in the cable.  Pin 1 starts on the opposite end
of the connector from all there other drives.  After I put the twist in, the
second drive worked like a champ.

John Rushford