Adding second HD under ISC 2.0.2

Brandon Brown brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 13 02:00:08 AEST 1991

mjm at foster.avid.oz.au (Mike McBain) writes:

>Micronics 486-25, 4MB memory.
>Hard disk:  Primary WD APXXXX (209MB), IDE controller
>            Secondary: Maxtor XT4380S, Future Domain TMC8XX controller
>Tseng Labs VGA+ card and Nec 4D Multisync.

>The Maxtor has been formatted under DOS. If the machine
>is booted with DOS from the floppy drive, the Maxtor is accessible as drive C,
>which tells me that it's electrically (and logically?) correctly installed.

Hold the phone.... The Maxtor on the secondary controller (SCSI) is being
recognized as C: ??? Shouldn't the IDE controller's first drive be required
to have a C: partition? It sounds like to me preliminarily that the
IDE controller is not setup correctly...

>However, when I try to add the Maxtor on its controller using the addharddisk
>option under sysadm, I notice a few things:

>1. I select the format disk option having indicated the drive is drive
>   0 on controller 1. It returns very quickly, and does not format
>   the disk.
I have noticed on a couple of my drives that this happens also. I think
some manufactures preformat their drives and figure that you won't need
to re-format them. I have a drive that works fine and returns immediately
from a format with no errors...

>I haven't put an entry into BIOS about this controller, since it's a SCSI one.
>What else should I have tried? I have an Adaptec 1542B available to try if
>that is likely to be better, but why doesn't it work as things are now? Anyone
>seen this problem and solved it?

Well, speaking from experience, if you try to use a primary "AT" style
controller with an Adaptec secondary controller with ISC 2.0.2, it won't
work. I had the exact same problem before I upgraded to ISCv 2.2.

Good luck, Mike..

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    xmg23356, macbrando          |