Adding second HD under ISC 2.0.2

Mike McBain mjm at foster.avid.oz.au
Tue Feb 12 17:57:26 AEST 1991

I am having considerable difficulty adding a second hard disk to my
ISC 2.0.2 installation. I hope someone has some experience which can
help me.

Setup:

Micronics 486-25, 4MB memory.
Hard disk:  Primary WD APXXXX (209MB), IDE controller
            Secondary: Maxtor XT4380S, Future Domain TMC8XX controller
Tseng Labs VGA+ card and Nec 4D Multisync.

The kernel has been modified using kconfig so that it knows there
is a SCSI controller in the system. The system boots normally off
the IDE drive.  I have once or twice seen a message which says
   tmc_init: no drives online

The Maxtor has been formatted under DOS. If the machine
is booted with DOS from the floppy drive, the Maxtor is accessible as drive C,
which tells me that it's electrically (and logically?) correctly installed.

However, when I try to add the Maxtor on its controller using the addharddisk
option under sysadm, I notice a few things:

1. I select the format disk option having indicated the drive is drive
   0 on controller 1. It returns very quickly, and does not format
   the disk.
2. My reading of the config files indicates that the minor number for
   the drive under these conditions should be 64. This seems sometimes
   to be OK, in that the /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 numbers have at times been  0, 64.
   I could do a mknod by hand, of course. However, should the second controller
   have a major number of 0? At the moment I'm letting addharddisk do all
   the work. Manual mknod with 0, 64-70 as the major and minor numbers
   for the c1d0s0-6 devices and 0, 192-6 for the c1d0p0-4 devices didn't get me
   anywhere.
3. Since it doesn't format the drive at all, it doesn't have a lot of success
   with mkfs and fdisk either.

I haven't put an entry into BIOS about this controller, since it's a SCSI one.
What else should I have tried? I have an Adaptec 1542B available to try if
that is likely to be better, but why doesn't it work as things are now? Anyone
seen this problem and solved it?

Mike McBain
Mike McBain             | DOMAIN: mjm at foster.avid.oz.au
Avid Systems Pty Ltd    | UUCP: {pyramid,uunet}!munnari!foster.avid.oz.au!mjm
St Kilda, Australia 3182| Tel: +61 3 534 2293
          ---- Is it possible to knit during a space walk? ----