1 Gigabyte drives

Grant DeLorean grant at bluemoon.uucp
Sat Feb 23 13:51:51 AEST 1991

cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>>     I'm running interactive unix 2.2 and am looking into 1 Gb. SCSI
>>     drives. I have the Adaptec 1542A controller and am thinking about

>With SCSI you will get better performance from 2 670MB drives than from
>a single 1GB drive.

 True, performance will be better with the two 670's (assuming that the
1 gig drive isn't being added to an already functioning system) but
costwise the 1 gig drive can be cheaper then two 670 meg drives.
For example, it would have cost almost $1500 more for me to add a pair
of 670 meg drives than it did for me to get this WREN VII 1.2 gig drive
and add it in (even though I did have room for two more hard drives
under the ISC HPDD). These things have to be weighed for each site and
the situation (maybe they won't see the same kind of deal...).

>with the setup or since delivery.  The only thing to remember is that
>file system mount/unmount time will be very long when ISC reads the free
>list unless you fill up the drive.

 You ain't just whistling Dixie with that...
--
 Grant DeLorean  (grant at bluemoon)    {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!grant