Esix and Colorado Memory Systems "Jumbo" tape

mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca
Thu Feb 14 19:34:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb11.215550.1320 at saturn.uucp>, martin at saturn.uucp (Martin J. Schedlbauer) writes:
> In article <1991Feb9.191226.15362 at ms.uky.edu> jkb at ms.uky.edu (Keith Burton) writes:
>>I have a Colorado Memory Systems "Jumbo" 1/4 inch tape drive I'd like to use
>>with Esix 3.2D.  I loaded the 1/4 inch streaming tape driver, but it wants
>>some information I don't have, such as address and IRQ number.
>>

> This is NOT a 1/4" tape drive. It's probably the Jumbo+ using DC2000 or
> DC2010 tapes. Unfortunately this unit won't work with Esix using stock
> drivers. Maybe somebody has one for Esix?
>
> There is no IRQ and address, as it uses the same as the floppy controller,
> that being the reason for a cable from the J10 controller to the floppy
> controller. I used to have one of those and quickly upgraded to a 60MB
> Everex Streamer.
>
> 	...Martin
>

> --
> Martin J. Schedlbauer	| martin at saturn.UUCP	| ...!ulowell!saturn!martin
> 8 Gilman Road		| mschedlb at ulowell.edu	| ...!uunet!wang!saturn!martin
> Billerica, MA 01862 USA	| CIS: 76675, 3364	| /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I have a DC-10 as a third drive off my controller. It works great.  I have ESIX
Rev. D, and I bought the driver from CMS.  The UNIX compatibility list for the
driver/software doesn't mention ESIX, but I figured that since it listed
everything else, including XENIX, it would have to work.  It did.

If you have a DC-10 and you run UNIX, get the driver.  On my machine (a 25 MHz
486) it backs up about 80 Mb of info to one tape (compression on), and it only
takes about 25 minutes (or around 3.6 Mb/min).  Not bad for a tape drive hung
off the floppy controller.

Of course, if you don't have a DC-10, I wouldn't recommend getting one (for
UNIX anyways). Why?  DC-600 carts. are the standard for data-interchange
between most UNIX boxes based on Intel platforms as far as I have seen.

On the other hand, the new DC-20, the 250 Mb version of the DC-10 looks *real*
interesting. For a street price of around $500 (which includes the
almost-mandatory option of the controller), you get a very nice tape unit that
is quick, uses DC-2000 carts., and can put 120 Mb (physically) on the tape.
The reason it is called a 250 Mb tape is because CMS figures that on average
you get 2.0:1 compression ...

Mike Hoffos
mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca
(Mount Royal College is a community college in Calgary, Alberta)

Disclaimer:     Mount Royal College doesn't speak for me, and I *certainly*
                don't speak for it.